Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Top Five

We are about to embark on my second favorite time of the year (after Christmas): the summer movie season. This summer it appears to be the year of the sequel. I'm okay with that. I'm somewhat fond of sequels, even though usually disappointed by them. But sequels have been getting progressively better. The Powers That Be are finally realizing that what makes a sequel work is not putting the same actors up on the screen and sticking a Roman numeral after the title, but actually continuing the story in a logical and intelligent fashion. But I digress. Here are the five movies of this summer that I am most anticipating. Note that I did not say they would be the five best (in fact, I'm pretty sure they will not be), but the five that I am most eager to see.

1. Spider-Man 3
This is probably not a surprise.

2. Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer
I am not a huge fan of the Fantastic Four, but I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit. It was definitely flawed and certainly not on the level of a Spider-Man or Batman movie, but I found it entertaining. The sequel looks to be even more fun. The Silver Surfer takes the whole movie to another level.

3. The Bourne Ultimatum
I absolutely loved the first movie, The Bourne Identity. I was quite disappointed in the second movie, The Bourne Supremacy, and I blame that on Paul Greengrass. He adopted a shaky camera approach to direction in a misguided attempt to create faux-realism that pretty much ruined much of the film for me. If he can rein himself in and keep the camera-shaking to a minimum, this third outing will have real potential.

4. 1408
This is based on a short story by Stephen King that was the most frightening thing I read last year. This is about a writer who makes a living debunking the paranormal. He travels to a New York hotel to spend a night in room 1408, a room that has a decidely impressive ghostly pedigree. Let's just say he learns the error of his ways.

5. Ocean's Thirteen
Loved the first one. Didn't care much for the second. But if what I hear is true, this third installment should adhere more to the former.

7 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Naomi said...

I am mad at you for not going to Spider-Man 3 with us.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Naomi,
As I mentioned earlier, I am under parental obligation to see it first with my son so I am sure that your anger is greatly tempered by your massive respect for my parenting skills in choosing to not drag a seven-year old to a midnight showing on a school night. If there's a midnight showing of Pirates of the Caribean, I'll be there.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a hunch, but perhaps there is more to why you anticipate "Rise of the Silver Surfer" than what you say. RRC

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Eric said...

The Bourne Supremacy was an enjoyable movie, but I was amazed when I read the book and the only thing that the book and movie shared was the name. I wonder what they will do with the next one.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Laura Ware said...

Soooo?

No report yet on Spiderman 3?

I saw it and can't wait to discuss it!

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg:

I'm disappointed!
The Silver Surfer dude really rocks!
Outside the Hulk and Dr. Doom, he's the best of the best.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg:

I'M disppointed!
The Silver Surf rocks!
Outside the Hulk and Dr.Doom, he is my favorite. (I must also put the mighty Thor in this group of superheros and villians)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home