Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Smart Pop

I recently had opportunity to work with BenBella books in their Smart Pop series. BenBella is a publisher that focuses on pop cultural works -- they have put out books on everything from The Matrix to CSI to Lost. These books enlist various professionals (novelists, philosophers, actors, scholars, etc.) to write educated essays on pop cultural phenomena that are creative and accesssible to a general audience. You can check out their website at www.smartpopbooks.com.

I recently contributed to their upcoming book on the Gilmore Girls television show. I believe it will be titled Coffee at Luke's, although I am not certain about that, and it should be out sometime in the Fall. The assignment turned out to be quite serendipitous for me. I was laid up on the couch most of last summer recovering from knee surgery. So I basically spent my summer watching six seasons of Gilmore Girls -- for research, you understand. I ended up contributing an essay titled "Dining With the Gilmores", which combines two of my favorite things: television and food. It was a good summer.

4 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

Gilmore Girls? Good heavens, what's next? ... a reset of Anne of Green Gables?

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Bruce,
I think next should be a post-modern analysis of Dieter and Stuart Smalley. What do you think?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

Could there be any other way to analyze it?

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have also got sucked into watching the Gilmore Girls (I am on Season 6 now..)

I guess I enjoy the fast paced dialogue and the pop culture references.

Yet, I am disturbed by the lack of spirituality at all in that show. Lorelai and Rory seem to have no concern for God at all. I know it's only a TV show. Maybe this is indicative of world that is out there (living without an acknowledgement or concern about God, eternity, etc.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home