Friday, November 24, 2006

Media Musings

Several people have asked me why my postings have become relatively infrequent. Basically, I've just been busy with other things. I am delivering a series of lectures in January and am currently knee-deep in a new book project, hoping to work my way to waist deep soon. I do have a few posts I hope to do soon, but in the meantime I will share some of my random musings.

~Spider-Man 3 is my most anticipated movie of the next year. Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin version 2.0, black costume Spidey, Gwen Stacey. What more could you ask for? Only 160 more days to go.

~I must revise my earlier and premature prediction that "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" was the best new show of the season. The honor now belongs solely and deservedly to "Heroes." A great show that just keeps getting better week by week.

~By contrast, a show that is in decline this year is "Gilmore Girls." Ever since show runner Amy Sherman-Palladino left, things just haven't been the same. For most of the cast, I've noticed no difference. The current show runner, however, seems to have little understanding of Lorelai's character. She was always immature, but has now become downright petulant. Her humor used to be witty; now it's just grating.

~Some of my favorite authors, broken down by genre:
Horror: Stephen King, even though he's drifted away from horror writing a bit, is still hard to beat.

Thriller/Mystery: Lee Child is my new favorite. His Jack Reacher novels are outstanding. A close second are Barry Eisler's tales about Japanese assassin John Rain.

Humor: Whenever I've read Dave Barry's columns, I haven't found them that engaging. However, on a road trip to Texas last year I listened to two of his books on tape and couldn't get enough. Something about having them read aloud really brings out the humor.

Biography: Peter Guralnick's 2 volume, exhaustive, biography of Elvis Presley, "Last Train to Memphis" and "Careless Love," are as good as it gets.

Romance: How would I know?

~For my money, the best "new" Christmas songs of the last 2 decades are "All I Want For Christmas is You" by Vince Vance and the Valiants, "It's Not the Presents Under the Tree" by Eva Cassidy, and "A Perfect Christmas Night" by TransSiberian Orchestra. All three deserve to become Christmas classics.

4 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Laura Ware said...

Good to see you posting again!

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greg: I'm a friend of your dad and this is the first attempt at trying to post a comment. Like your blog site because it challenges me to think!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Barry Eisler said...

Thanks for the kinds words about the Rain books, Greg, and I'm a Reacher fan, too!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Barry,
Anytime! I love the John Rain books. I've read the first three and plan to start on the fourth in the next couple weeks. I've been involved with Japanese martial arts for the last 20 years (particularly Iaido, Kempo, and Ju-Jitsu) so I find the books descriptions of Judo techniques and Rain's character fascinating. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home