Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Top 15 Super-Hero Movies, #6-10

10. Superman 2

The action in this movie, combined with the always intriguing plot of one who sacrifices everything for love, puts it a notch above the first installment. Compared, however, with the advances in technology today and the increased emphasis on producing superhero movies that have serious acting weight and profound ideas behind them, it does not hold up as well now as it did in the 80's. As such, I have very high hopes for Superman Returns as it is directed by Bryan Singer who gave depth to the first two X-Men films. I suspect that the new film, had I seen it already, would find a high place on this list. After all, Superman deserves to soar.

9. Fantastic Four

I know many people didn't like this movie, finding it lightweight and a little too campy. I, on the other hand, went into it with fairly realistic expectations and so found it to be a fun movie. Personally, and I may be wrong on this, but I think that a serious film of the Fantastic Four wouldn't work very well. I think the airy lightness of this movie works in this case. If you tried to do this with a Batman movie, however, it would be a tragedy of epic proportions - as was proven by a Joel Schumacher film that shall remain unmentionable.

8. Daredevil

Daredevil is Spider-Man's dark cousin - a combination of Spider-Man and Batman mixed together in a boiling cauldron with a touch of cat's eyes. If you go into this film expecting a dark treatment of the theme of vengeance, you won't be caught off guard. It is a movie that is probably not to everyone's taste, but I found it very well-done. The irony of a blind lawyer seeking justice as a vigilante is intriguing. Of course, the main reason to see this movie is Jennifer Garner's performance as Elektra -- better in her few scenes in Daredevil than in the entire Elektra movie.

7. Batman Returns

Almost spoiled by the Penguin, but then redeemed by Catwoman. And any movie with Christopher Walken is a plus. Unfortunately, though, Batman himself pretty much plays second fiddle in this one.

6. X-Men

The first film in this series benefits greatly from Bryan Singer's attempt to approach the movie as a relatively serious take on prejudice. The opening scene set in a German concentration camp sets the tone well. Although the film is a little light on action as a whole, it is carried forward by an engaging plot and the even more engaging Wolverine as played by Hugh Jackman.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Laura Ware said...

I almost wish you had included animation, because I agree with you that "The Incredibles" is a great movie.

As to the rest of your choices...I might have rated Blade higher because I found the premise intriguing. I never saw the Hulk, and I liked Daredevil less than you did, I think. I would have rated Xmen 3 higher than it, anyway.

I'm also looking forward to "Superman Returns."

Could say more on this but want to see your top 5 before I do. :-)

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm waiting for your top 5 as well. There's one I'm hoping to see on there.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger KMiV said...

I too am looking forward to your top 5. Unfortunately I have not seen Fantastic Four or Daredevil. Just a matter of time. I think you have inspired me to rent a couple DVDs.

Good thing school is out for the summer.

Ron

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I have to agree with your comments on Fantastic Four, but it wasn't nowhere as campy as the-movie-which-shall-not-be-named. It had the right touch and was well done. I would have, however, put the first X-Men much higher on my list...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home